How Does Nutrition Play A Role In Promoting Miscarriage Recovery?
In Malaysia, loss of a pregnancy in the period of less than 22 weeks of gestation or a foetus weighing less than 500g is considered as miscarriage.
Symptoms of miscarriage
- Vagina bleeding
- Cramping and pain in lower abdomen
- Not to worry much if there is light vaginal bleeding during the first 3 months of pregnancy which not necessarily means a miscarriage (please consult doctor).
Nutrition For Recovery (Mini-confinement)
Well-balanced nutritious meals are crucial to support mother’s recovery after miscarriage.
Foods high in certain nutrients should be emphasized to speed up the healing process.
Amino acids are required after miscarriage to recover and heal the wound.
Examples: Chicken, Fish, Pork, Egg, Tofu, Milk, Cheese, Beans, Peas, Tempeh
Vitamin C-rich foods
Vitamin C is needed to synthesize collagen, strengthen immunity and fights body inflammation.
Examples: Capsicum, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Brussels Sprouts, Tomato, Red Dates
Iron helps to replenish blood loss from miscarriage as well as to improve “Qi” of body.
Examples: Pork, Egg, Oysters, Peas (Black-eyed peas, Chickpeas, Green Peas), Green Leafy Vegetables (Spinach & Kale), Red Dates, Gojiberries
Magnesium may help to reduce post-miscarriage stress and anxiety.
Examples: Meat, Milk, Egg, Nuts (Cashews, Almond), Beans, Peas, Tofu, Spinach
Omega 3- rich foods
Can take days after miscarriage for anti-inflammatory effects & heart health.
Examples: Mackerel, Salmon, Oysters, Walnut, Flaxseed, Chia Seed
Drinking enough fluid is also important to hydrate the body in supporting body healing.
Examples: Plain Water, Nourishing Soups, Fruit Juice, Tea
Having a well-balanced nutrition-dense meal and hydration would help to speed up post-miscarriage recovery.
Article written by:
Foo Kai Li
Registered Member of Nutrition Society Malaysia (NSM)
- NHS (2018). Overview Miscarriage. Retrieved from https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/miscarriage/
- MyHealth Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (2019). Miscarriage. Retrieved from http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/miscarriage/
- Villines, Z. (2021). High iron vegetables for vegetarians and vegans: 10 of the best
- Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/high-iron-vegetables
- Hjalmarsdottir, F. (2019). 12 Foods That Are Very High in Omega-3. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-omega-3-rich-foods